Location: Bristol (UK) or Remote
Benefits (full-time only): Unlimited holidays with 20 days minimum, flexible working hours
Cadence: Full-time role
Martian Lawyers Club (MLC) is building community-driven, auto-modding games. We are a team of game developers, designers, and researchers, who have come together to utilise our skills in a meaningful way.
We want our games to do what is only possible in the tabletop RPGs world: indefinite personalisation, community, and creativity. We believe that players shouldn’t be forced to pick between the immersive power of video games and the ability to make unconstrained choices. While idyllic, this poses various game design and technical challenges which we are trying to solve.
You will work with a team of creative individuals, applying your skills to shape the worlds of our digital games as well as help inform player-facing decisions such as user-experience and design. You will help formulate ideas, sketch out concepts, and create final in-game visuals, all while working with our game development team in a technical, agile manner.
What you’ll be doing from day to day:
- Brainstorm and conceive visual designs and the overall visual direction for our upcoming digital card game.
- Work with our game development team to create concept art, 2D assets, textures, and UI layouts.
- Utilise your creative expertise to ideate, design, and polish an original game world for players to engage with.
- In collaboration with the team, help us to design and implement our UI/UX.
- Utilise the latest technology to support your procedural generative art pipeline.
Desired qualifications and experience:
- 3+ years relevant industry experience.
- Proficiency with Photoshop, Illustrator, or equivalent design program(s).
- Experience with all stages of the art pipeline in game creation.
- Professional and/or personal experience with concept art, character design, illustration, and/or graphic design.
- Experience with the Unity game engine or other game engines.
- Familiarity with procedural generation techniques and tools.
- Prior professional experience with UI/UX design.
- Experience or knowledge about technical artist pipelines, such as shaders or VFX.
- Experience with 3D art pipelines, such as texturing and modelling software (Blender, Maya, etc.).
- Experience or knowledge of using machine learning to support an artist pipeline.
- Experience or knowledge of 2D/3D animation pipelines.
It’s okay if you don’t tick all the boxes. We’d still like to hear from you if what we are building interests you.
What We Offer
You will be given the freedom to make your own choices, as you often will be the person who understands your area best. With this responsibility comes a rare sense of ownership and freedom in your work. By joining us this early, you are certain to have a massive impact on the company direction.
Please send across your CV and Portfolio (as either a URL or an attachment) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line MLC Artist. Include a few of your favourite games in the body of the email. We look at every application we receive and aim to reply as quickly as feasible.